The team at Christmas Lights, Etc has enjoyed yet another recipe competition: a pie baking contest. With judging based on presentation and flavor, each contestant brought in one to two masterpieces for an all out bake off.
I (Lindsey) was blessed to be on the judges panel, and two other judges joined me in sampling the edible delights. The only rule was that the contestants had to make a pie, and we had one creative entry that included meat!
There were a total of ten different savory pies, ranging from the popular Meatza Pizza pie to some sugary pies of creative baking. Coconut, key lime, and peanut butter pie were just a few of the entries, and in no time at all, the office was chowing down on some delicious desserts.
Though we loved everyone’s pies, here are our winners and their recipes so you can try them in your own kitchen:
Sweet victory: Winners 1 and 2 were the same contestant! Congratulations Web Content Manager, Jeanette!
1st Place: Boston Creme Pie Recipe
Jeanette created a homemade pie crust, which was really the secret in its winning. She used the following flaky pie crust recipe (dough for 1 pie crust):
- Combine 1 cup of unsifted flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
- Add in 1/3 cup of shortening until crumbly.
- Sprinkle with 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is moist enough to hold together.
- Place dough on floured surface and form the pie shell.
- Bake in 450° for 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown.
Prepare ahead and bake with crust:
- Pie top crust wedges: Use one uncooked pie crust, lay out and cut into 8 slices, bake in 450° until just before brown, about 5-8 minutes.
For the pie filling in the Boston Creme Pastry:
- Combine 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup of cold water, and 1 package of vanilla flavor pudding mix into a bowl and beat.
- Chill for 5 minutes.
- Fold in 1 cup of whipping cream, whipped.
- Top with pie crust wedges and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and mix with 1 teaspoon of shortening (splurged an extra $0.75 on Hershey brand since this was the real deal).
- Drizzle melted chocolate over wedges.
- Chill the pie.
2nd Place: Meatza Pizza Pie Recipe
The Meatza Pizza pie is a delicious concoction that would be perfect for dinner. To create this savory dish:
- Mix 1 pound of ground beef, 1/2 cup of fresh Italian bread crumbs, 1 egg, 2 teaspoons of beef flavored instant bouillon in a medium bowl.
- Press evenly in pie plate to form crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes in 350° oven.
- Once baked, pour off fat and spoon 3-4 cup pasta Tomato & Basil sauce over the crust.
- Top with 1 2.5 oz jar of sliced mushrooms, 2 tablespoons of chopped green peppers, 2 tablespoons of chopped onions, and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
- Garnish as desired.
Congratulations to our Photographer Ashley!
3rd Place: Timey Wimey Peanut Butter Cup Pie
One of the best peanut butter pie recipes I’ve come across, it’s great for those Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup lovers. Ashley made this unique pie, and Jeanette voted Ashley’s as her favorite.
- Combine 8 ounces of room temperature cream cheese, 3/4 cup of confectioners’ sugar, and 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter at room temperature until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Whip 1 cup of heavy whipping cream until thick and light in a separate bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and continue to whip until stiff peak forms.
- Fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture.
- Pour the batter into 1 9-inch baked chocolate cookie pie crust.
- Sprinkle 2 ounces of shaved chocolate milk and freeze.
- If desired, serve with whipped cream, hot fudge sauce, chopped peanuts, and/or a peanut butter cup.
More Delectable Pie Recipes
It was really hard to choose from all of the lovely pies. Just look at all of the competition!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 large beaten eggs, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, ½ cup of corn syrup, 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of vanilla, and 3 ounces of chocolate chips.
- Place pecans in the pie shell.
- Pour the mixture over the pecans.
- Bake at 375° for fifteen minutes, then lower to 350° for an additional 35-45 minutes until pie is set.
- Spread 1 cup of sweetened flaked coconut on a baking sheet and bake it for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Stir occasionally.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups of half-and-half, 2 beaten eggs, 3/4 cup of white sugar, 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil over a low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan and stir in ¾ of the toasted coconut and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm.
- Top with the remaining toasted coconut and whipped cream.
These easy pie recipes are great for dinner and dessert. Make them for parties and allow everyone to enjoy.
We always enjoy food here at Christmas Lights, Etc, with monthly cooking competitions and outings. There’s nothing like the smile you get after tasting something delicious, and this pie baking contest was just one of the many delicious competitions we’ve had.
Up next…Best tuna or chicken salad sandwiches.